Saturday, January 21, 2012

Meet Zaphod


When I first conceived this blog, I had just suffered a herniated disc and thought the odd neurological symptoms I was experiencing were related to that.  I was looking forward to overcoming the back issues and getting back into training for triathlons.

About two months ago I did a phone consult with Neurosurgery to get an appointment, thinking the persistent symptoms were related to my back.  She consulted the attending docs in Neurosurgery, docs in Neurology, and General Medicine.  She called me back and said they thought it wasn’t my back, but was likely my brain.

Not what I was expecting to hear.

At all.

Fast forward, and I’ve had MRIs and a lumbar puncture (spinal tap).  I’m still waiting the results of the LP because some of those tests take a couple weeks to run.  I met with my neurosurgeon this week.  The MRIs showed a mass in my brain.  Marble-sized.

The neurosurgeon says it doesn’t look malignant.  While he says it doesn’t look malignant, until it’s in a Petri dish, there is always the possibility.  He’s not able at this point to narrow down what it is, tumor on a nerve cell or on the lining of the brain.  My options at this point are to remove the mass (which I would hope helps get rid of my headaches!!!) or to leave it alone and monitor with monthly MRIs.  For the rest of my life. 

So…guess I’m going to be evicting Zaphod.  I realize that sentence makes no sense if you’ve never read Hitchhiker’s Guide to Galaxy by Douglas Adams.  Zaphod Beeblebrox, inventor of the Pan-Galactic Gargle Blaster, is the two-headed former President of the Galaxy.  http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Zaphod_Beeblebrox

One thing about me is that I will attempt to find the humor in everything; it’s really the only way to maintain sanity.  Therefore, I named the mass Zaphod. 

Yesterday I met a new friend who went through very similar situation.  One of her questions was, “Have you named it yet?”  I just about fell over laughing since earlier yesterday I had been wondering if I was odd for naming the mass…either I’m not odd, or she’s just as odd as I am.  Either way, it’s a win!

I am going to schedule the surgery for the end of March.  I will run my first half marathon on St. Patty’s Day weekend.  I had signed up for the half marathon before all this popped up and I don’t want the surgery to interfere with it. 

Zaphod and I will be running the Shamrock Half on 18 Mar.  Eviction shortly thereafter.  

1 comment:

  1. Heh, Zaphod, brilliant name!

    As it happens, I'm listening to the audio version of "The Restaurant at the End of the Universe" by Douglas Adams - and read by him. Gotta love his crazy humor =)

    ReplyDelete